We are excited to welcome all of our Henderson International School students back to school. Now that we’re into our second week, here are some tips for parents to help their child get back in the school mode:
- Be enthusiastic and interested in the start of school. If you are confident and excited about school, your child will be too. Let your child know that it’s okay to feel nervous, and get them talking about what they are feeling.
- Post all calendars of school activities, assignment due dates, sports games, meetings, vacations and lunch menus on the refrigerator or another designated space. Allow your child to cross off tasks and assignments as they are completed.
- Get moving! Exercise is a natural stress reliever is a great way to unwind after a busy school day. Set an example to your children that exercise can be both fun and healthy. Exercising with your child will help them see physical activity as an important part of a daily routine.
- Don’t let your child become overwhelmed with extracurricular activities. Children and parents can become overwhelmed and overstressed from over committing themselves. Try to properly balance your child’s after-school activities and your own commitments to reduce stress for everyone.
- Get involved. Join the PTA and other parent groups. If you are involved, your child can’t help but be engaged as well. Children whose parents are more involved with their education have higher achievement and feel more connected to their school.