- Monday was our Pancakes and PJ’s kickoff when our campus came together to enjoy breakfast in our comfiest pajamas. It was also Dr. Seuss’ birthday, so classes read popular Dr. Seuss books, including Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham.
- Tuesday was our school-wide poetry appreciation day. Every hour a member of the staff read a poem over the school PA system by popular children’s poets Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky. Mr. Heffron, Mrs. Pizzuto, Mr. Ahlborn and Mrs. Raucher lent their voices to bring these snippets of rhyme to life.
- Wednesday we hosted Nevada author Suzanne M. Williams for a full day of assemblies. Our youngest writers enjoyed learning how the ideas for books come about and how writers begin the writing process. Elementary students were given the opportunity to learn techniques to improve their writing using pictures prompts, and our middle school writers refined their writing skills by writing stories and sharing them with their classes.
- On Thursday, station 98 of the Henderson Fire Department was on hand to read to preschool and elementary school students and answer questions about being a fire department member.
- Friday was our annual “Guess that Book” competition. This event is the highlight of Reading Week, as classes compete against each other for an ice cream party. Readers share excerpts from popular books and classes must guess the book. This is always a spirited competition for classroom bragging rights and a sweet treat to follow.
Thanks to Mr. Ahlborn and Mr. Heffron for reading to classes during the week and to the PTA for their support in bringing Mrs. Williams to our campus.